If you want to clean a white hat or a light-colored hat, you can. You have to know what to do. Some people try to wash their hats in the washing machine, but this might not be the best idea depending on the cap.
This article will talk about how to clean the different kinds of hats in the best way possible. We will also provide a simple guide to help you choose the best cleaning method for your specific hat.
First, Determine How to Clean a White Hat
If your hat has gotten dirty or smells bad, here’s what to do.
First, take a look at your hat. Is it dirty? Are there only a few spots that need a good scrubbing? Or does the entire cap need to be washed?
Slow Down and Check the Label!
Your hat is made of specific materials and needs particular care. Your hat may come with a label with cleaning instructions. If this is the case, then you are lucky. The instructions might say “machine wash,” “dry clean only,” or “hand wash.” It may also contain drying instructions.
Forget Bleach and the Dishwasher Altogether
When cleaning a white hat, you might think of using bleach. But be careful! Bleach can quickly erode the material of your hat, and it can also make a lousy stain worse.
If the label on your hat says to hand wash it, you might be tempted to put it in the dishwasher. But this can cause damage to your hat.
It is tempting to wash your hat in the dishwasher, but we don’t suggest it. The hot water and dryer heat can change your hat’s shape, color, or size.
There are ways to clean a hat in the dishwasher that is safe, but for washing your white hat safely, let’s use more reliable methods.
Get Ready to Wash!
If your white hat doesn’t have washing instructions, don’t worry! We’ll help you out. People often clean a white hat in one of two ways. We’ll tell you what kind of hat to use for each washing method in each section.
Machine Washing Your White Hat
You can use this method to make cotton baseball, tennis hats, and beanies.
1. If you want to machine wash your hat, use a stain remover first if the hat is dirty. Make sure that whatever you use is color-safe.
2. To protect your white hat, wash it with a small load of white laundry. Use cold water in your washer and the gentle cycle.
3. Hang dry.
Hand-Washing Your White Hat
Hand-washing is a great way to clean different materials like cotton, synthetic materials, and wool.
1. To hand-wash cotton or synthetic hats, use a large bowl or sink of water. Add baking soda (1 tablespoon), hydrogen peroxide (1 cup), and detergent (for synthetic hats) to the water. It will help clean your hat. For wool hats, use a detergent meant for wool, like Woolite.
2. Submerge that hat for around 45 minutes.
3. If there are any tough stains, use a small brush to scrub them away. If the hat is wool, be very careful while cleaning.
4. After washing your hat, give it a final rinse. Squeeze the water out of the hat, but avoid wringing it out.
5. Let the hat dry for about 24 hours in the open air.
If you need to clean a small area on your hat, use a similar mixture to the one above. Dip a soft-bristle brush or white washcloth into the mix, gently scrub the stain(s), rinse the area gently with water, and then air-dry the hat.
Cleaning your white hat is not difficult once you have the proper knowledge and supplies. You can do it yourself, ask for help. I hope this article helped you feel a little less scared.
Frequently Asked Questions About How to Clean White Hats
How Do You Clean a Hat Without Ruining It?
To clean a baseball cap:
1. pour cool or room-temperature water into a sink or bowl. And a small amount of mild laundry detergent.
2. Turn the hat inside out and massage it for a few minutes to remove dirt.
3. Soak it in soapy water for about 20 minutes.
4. Rinse it well with cool water to remove all the soap.
Can You Use Bleach on White Hats?
There are many ways to clean a hat, but one thing is always the same: you should not use bleach. Bleach could damage the hat’s material, make it discolor, and create stains.
How Do You Clean a White Hat With Baking Soda and Vinegar?
Mix four tablespoons of baking soda and ¼ cup of water to make a paste. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to put the paste on the stain. Rub in small circles. Let it sit for up to an hour. Spray with distilled white vinegar and scrub the stain again. Rinse it clean with cold water.
How Do You Get Stains Out of Baseball Caps?
Make a baking soda paste and water to clean a stain on a baseball cap. Add vinegar after putting the paste on the stain. Scrub with your soft-bristled brush until you see the stain come out. Rinse with water and use a gentle laundry detergent to hand wash.
How Do You Clean a Hat With OxiClean?
Put cool or warm water in a clean sink or bucket. Add about one tablespoon of OxiCleanTM powder or a few drops of laundry detergent. Soak the hat in water for about 15 minutes. Rinse the hat well in warm or cool water and pat it gently dry with a towel.
How Do You Prevent Sweat Stains on Hats?
These barriers can prevent sweat stains from ruining your favorite cap. Keep yourself clean: Wash your face twice a day to avoid stains of sweat and bacteria build-up on your hat. Keep the hat dry: Clean your hat before you notice these pesky sweat stains, and let it air dry completely.